That sure is a beautiful Christmas tree. Here’s how to make sure it doesn’t start a house fire while you are away on holidays.
The holidays are historically one of the most dangerous times of the year in terms of house fires. To ensure you and your family are safe this Christmas, the North Grenville Fire Service has compiled
“The 12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety”:
1. Water fresh trees daily.
2. Check all sets of lights before decorating to ensure they are in good condition.
3. Make sure you have working smoke alarms.
4. Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms.
5. Make sure everyone knows how to get out safely if a fire occurs.
6. Use extension cords wisely.
7. Give space heaters space.
8. When you go out, blow out all candles.
9. Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.
10. Watch what you heat! Stay in the kitchen when cooking.
11. Encourage smokers to smoke outside.
12. Keep a close eye on anyone in your household who consumes alcohol while cooking or smoking.
During this busy time of the year, it is easy to let one’s guard down. And that’s when a fire can happen.