Listen Live
HomeNewsUCDSB Student Senate raising money for Green Iglu throughout April

UCDSB Student Senate raising money for Green Iglu throughout April

A group of Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB) students are raising money to support Indigenous communities in northern Ontario.

“This year’s Student Senate has made it evident that they wish to leave the world a better place than they found it,” says Eshali Ali, the Vice-Chair of the board’s Student Senate. 

“We recognize the challenges Indigenous communities continuously face and have faced, especially over the past year, and with our combined resources we aim to help them form a future in which they know they are always supported.” 

Members of the Student Senate are organizing fundraising events at schools all across the region, with the goal of collecting $5,000 total. 

- Advertisement -

The money is going towards Green Iglu, a Toronto-based charity that helps provide food for Indigenous communities in the northern part of our province.

The UCDSB’s Director of Education, Ron Ferguson, says he’s pledged a ten dollar donation for every school, to help them get started. 

“Coordinating a board-wide fundraising initiative at the secondary level takes commitment, organization and teamwork,” he says. “This group of students are true leaders and I am proud that they’ve taken on this initiative.”

MyPrescottNow.com has reached out to South Grenville District High School to learn how it plans to contribute to the project.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading