Flood Watch issued for St. Lawrence River
St. Lawrence River in Prescott. (Courtney Crowder, MyPrescottNow.com)
South Nation Conservation (SNC) has issued a Flood Watch for the St. Lawrence River.
SNC upgraded the Flood Outlook Statement yesterday.
SNC is advising residents to stay away from rivers as weather may rapidly increase river flows and banks may become slippery and unstable. Parents are also encouraged to explain these dangers to their children.
SNC says residents in places historically susceptible to flooding and low-lying areas should closely follow evolving conditions and take necessary steps to protect their property, which include:
- Ensure sump pump is clear, in good working condition and has a backwater valve on it.
- Portable backup generator and pump.
- Ensure downspouts are clear and the outlet is at least three metres from the dwelling.
- Removing or securing items that might float away as flows increase.
- Removing valuable items from basements or lower floors that could be subject to flooding.
- Keep emergency phone numbers handy.
- Familiarize yourself with your municipality’s emergency preparedness plan.
SNC says this Flood Watch statement is in effect until June 12th. For more information, visit SNC’s website here.